Raw

November 16th, 2009 @ 17:08

I had a diabetes scare a while back and have had to avoid sugar and fast carbs. It’s been difficult. I did well in the beginning but as my depression got deeper my food choices have been poorer and poorer. It got to the point where the only dinner I could even think of eating was a plate of fries with ketchup. How exciting.

A good friend of mine went raw a little while back and she finds it has helped her immensely.  Her skin problems are better and she has more energy. She’s been pushing for me to follow her example, saying it’ll be good for me and how it’s easy to avoid the bad carbs when eating raw. So I decided that I’ll try to eat more raw and try to incorporate more raw meals into my diet. I do love my cooked food but the things she’s prepared for me have been delicious too.

IMG_5908

So this is the first raw breakfast I had. A thick smoothie made from homepressed apple and clementine juice, lots of mango and raspberries. Topped with chopped up nuts and fresh raspberries.

13 Comments

1. That sounds like a fantastic breakfast! I hope you get used to your new diet soon. You probably know this already, but Neil Barnard wrote an awesome book which is called “Reversing Diabetes”. It’s not about raw foods, but maybe it is helpful to make some good food choices. It has a bunch of recipes.

Comment by Mihl - November 16th, 2009 at 5:52 pm
  2. that looks amazing! you inspired me to make a smoothie yesterday. I hope your health and mood look up soon- I so commiserate with the wintertime depression…

Comment by bazu - November 16th, 2009 at 6:29 pm
  3. That looks beautiful and tasty! I always feel better when I’m eating more raw foods, but it can be hard in the colder months, when I’m feeling depressed, or when my partner thinks raw foods are weird. Good luck with adding more raw to your diet, and getting your mood back up!

Comment by A-K - November 16th, 2009 at 8:01 pm
  4. That looks lovely! I’m sure being forced to eat a certain way isn’t fun, but I’m sure you’ll make the best of it!

Comment by Melisser - November 17th, 2009 at 11:07 pm
  5. Emmy, I’m sorry about the health scare. Maybe I can offer you a little bit of hope. When I cared for my elderly auntie, she developed diabetes from her overweight. She had to take pills and check her blood sugar every day with a little machine with a pin prick. She started losing weight from eating my cooking, and just a little bit of weight loss caused the diabetes to go away. This might not be your situation. There are all kinds of diabetes, and I am not a doctor. I’m just saying that my aunt lost just a little weight, only about 10 pounds, and she no longer had to take the pills or check her blood sugar any more.

Comment by Bliss Doubt - November 18th, 2009 at 10:07 pm
  6. Det låter inte alls bra med din hälsa men jag hoppas verkligen att du ska komma på rätt köl genom att äta raw. Vi är ju en växande skara människor som äter olika grader av raw och som stöttar, tipsar och hjälper varandra på forumet http://greenroomsverige.ning.com/
    Titta gärna förbi och säg hej!
    Jag vet inte var du bor, men det finns flera ställen i landet där rawisarna från forumet träffas ibland, bl a i Skåne där jag själv bor. Hur trevligt som helst och precis vad man behöver när man tvivlar, tappar lusten/orken eller bara vill utbyta smarriga recept. Ta hand om dig!

Comment by Jenny - December 1st, 2009 at 8:33 pm
  7. This looks so fresh and healthy. Great job.

Comment by Indianapolis injury attorney - January 28th, 2010 at 1:33 am
  8. Hej!!
    Det låter inget skoj för dig. Nu har det gått ngr månader och jag hoppas du mår bättre. Det är tufft att tvingas lägga om kosten. Själv har jag levt i många år med värk och för ca 10 år sedan slutade jag äta kött och mjölkprodukter. Det går upp och ner genom åren och ibland vill jag inget annat än äta en stor stek, äta en hel ost, och svepa en liter mjölk och proppa i mig en 11-bitars sushi med bara fisk!

Jag håller på dig och tror du fixar det!
    Kramar från ett snöigt Göteborg
    /åsa

Comment by Åsa - February 3rd, 2010 at 8:20 pm
  9. Hi :-)
    Good luck with your diet.
    I must say if the looks of your first raw breakfast is a sign for upcoming meals and posts in the blog,then i must visit here more often.
    Good luck,good luck ,good luck!!! :-)

Comment by Chen(picnicideas - April 19th, 2010 at 2:34 am
  10. This looks so yummy.
    I’m vegan and gave up sugar in january. I ended up seeing tons of benefits.
    Your bowl looks amazing. I pretty much want to dive right in!

Comment by Crystal - July 3rd, 2010 at 6:42 am
  11. Ohgosh. This looks awesome. Raspberries are such a treat!
    Definitely trying this.
    Peace and love!

Comment by Lauren - July 5th, 2010 at 6:24 pm
  12. Ooooh those raspberries look wonderful!
    Sounds like it was pretty sweet and delicious, too.

Comment by Sava - September 13th, 2010 at 7:18 pm
  13. wow! perfect for dessert! looks awesome!
    http://www.recipe-tv.ph –> you will here find the best filipino dishes! yummy!

Comment by Jecca Q. Festijo - July 27th, 2011 at 4:15 pm