Warming lentil soup

January 24th, 2009 @ 22:03

<3 & tofu The only nice thing in our kitchen is this black board (well, if you don’t include the fact that it’s a huge kitchen compared to what I’m used to). Every time I see it and the message it makes me happy. While not entirely true, we do eat more than tofu and love, it’s fairly accurate. As long as we have each other and an asian grocery shop close by we’ll be fine.

I have been feeling bad lately and three perfectly fine artichokes that I had planned on having for dinner had to be thrown away yesterday. I also had a big bunch of coriander waiting to be used in coriander and sesame noodles that I sadly had to get rid of this morning. The dark of winter really gets to me, and even though every day is getting lighter, I’m getting worse. It’s a good thing my partner Alex is keeping his sanity, and he’s doing a lot to help me keep what’s left of mine.

I did manage to cook up a delicious soup the other day. I had bought carrots to make some carrot soup, but I realized I needed something heartier so a lentil soup was clearly the way to go. I love lentil soup, I know it’s seen as hippy food, so I guess that makes me a hippy? There’s not much flower power going on here, though I did have some tulips on my coffee table a few days ago (the first time since I got Cookie, three and a half years ago). It’s a good warming soup.

Lentil parsley soup

Warming lentil soup: Serves 4

• 2 yellow onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste (concentrate)
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
  • 2 dl (just over 3/4 cup) red lentils, rinsed
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes, 400 gr (about 14 oz)
  • 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp paprika powder
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tbsp marmite (optional, I use it for depth of flavour)
  • 1/2 dl (1/4 cup) parsley, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • soyghurt for serving

In a medium size soup pot over medium heat, fry onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes until the onion is translucent but not brown. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute or so. Add carrots, lentils and chopped tomato and cook for a few minutes. Add vegetable stock, bay leaves, paprika, thyme and marmite and cook the soup for about 10 minutes until the carrots are softened. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley. Serve steaming hot with a dollop of soyghurt in the bowl and some bread and a nice salad on the side.

9 Comments

1. ahhhmazing lentil soup!

Comment by Nicole - January 24th, 2009 at 11:24 pm
  2. Mmmmm lentil soup – looks yummy! I enjoy reading your blog!

Comment by Justine - January 25th, 2009 at 1:20 am
  3. Winter’s a bitch… But soup makes everything better!

Comment by Alice (in Veganland) - January 26th, 2009 at 12:12 am
  4. Mmm, I love soup, especially with lentils!

Comment by Melisser - January 26th, 2009 at 9:36 am
  5. Feel better soon! Lentil soup always makes me happy, but I suppose you need lentils and sun.

Comment by Mihl - January 26th, 2009 at 7:55 pm
  6. I’ve never heard lentil soup called a hippie soup, but I love it! Your recipe looks really nice, and nice for a dreary cold day.

Comment by Diann (aTxVegn) - January 26th, 2009 at 10:21 pm
  7. Mihl – Thanks! The days are getting longer and things are improving :)

Diann – Maybe it’s just considered hippy food here in Sweden. It’s what everyone ate in the seventies because it was considered politically correct, not that I’d know, my mum was just a kid and I wasn’t even thought of!

Comment by Emmie - January 26th, 2009 at 10:34 pm
  8. D Bomb! I am a fat free vegan so I saute’d the onions and garlic in balsamic vinegar. Yumm.

Comment by Patty - March 31st, 2009 at 1:17 pm
  9. So sorry to hear about your Mum’s pup ~ so MANY shepherd mixes die of cancer, very quickly I might add. We had 2 that did ;-(
    What is Marmite? Gotta be a Euronean thing, not heard of here ;-) The soup sounds LOVELY and I’mm gonna make it, marmite or NOT! :-)
    C U @ FreedomGardens!