DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Veg Bitch » Blog Archive » Swedish style tofu balls

Swedish style tofu balls

May 12th, 2008 @ 16:41

I’m still here! Life has just been kind of shit lately and I’ve had a lot on my mind. Ever since my mum’s neck and arms got bad I’ve been feeling moody and things haven’t been great.

I’ve had fun times too. Lots of them! And these last two weeks have been sunny and warm. I’m a positive person, really!

Today we had a really lovely lunch. Every now and then I get cravings for Swedish food, like I used to have when I was younger and ate meat. Today was one of those days so I decided we’d have some tofuballs with lingonberries, potatoes and gravy. Boy, am I ever glad I made that decision.

Tofuballs, potatoes, gravy and lingonberries

It was a simple meal and didn’t take very long. I suppose most people can’t get lingonberries but these babies would be good with cranberries, or blackcurrant jelly… or a red onion jelly maybe. The gravy was just gravy granules mixed with stock, some milk and a little bit of soy sauce and black pepper. Potatoes are boiled and then lightly buttered and salted.

Delicious ‘Swedish’ Tofuballs: 4 servings

• 1 pack of tofu 500 gr (17.5 oz)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp dried herbs
  • 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 0.5 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp marmite (optional)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 0.75 dl (1/3 cup) breadcrumbs/panko
  • 3 tbsp gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
  • Olive oil spray

Crumble the tofu and squeeze some of the water out. Chop onions and garlic finely.

Put all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix WELL. You want to work the gluten for a while. Form into smallish balls (the small ones are tastier!) and put on a baking tray with parchment paper. Spray them lightly with oil and bake them at 225C (440F) in the oven for about 25 - 30 mins. Take them out when they are browned and firm.

12 Comments

1. the swedish tofuballs look great! i miss the real ones that my grandfather use to make for parties. i’m going to try these ASAP!

p.s. i hope you mom is doing better. big hugs to the both of you!

Comment by B36Kitchen - May 12th, 2008 at 6:17 pm
  2. I’ve only eaten Swedish food in the restaurant of ikea, but boy were the meatballs good… And I’m sure they pale in comparison to your tofuballs! (and so much healthier, haha, here you actually know what’s in them!)
    Thanks for this great recipe and stay positive!

Comment by Alice (in Veganland) - May 12th, 2008 at 6:23 pm
  3. These sound tasty! I can get Lingonberry jam at IKEA, hehehe.

Comment by Melisser - May 13th, 2008 at 6:09 am
  4. It became reference very much!!

Please link to this site

Comment by sakura - May 13th, 2008 at 7:56 am
  5. These sound delicious! We (or the meat-eaters, at least) eat meatballs with a similar souce in Finland, except not with lingonberries, them we only have with spinach pancakes. =)

Comment by Heikki - May 13th, 2008 at 8:35 am
  6. The swedish meatballs I grew up with always had grape jam in the sauce. I’ll have to try out your recipe!

And I’m still sending positive tropical vibes your way! And lots of hugs!

Comment by theresa - May 14th, 2008 at 5:15 am
  7. Melisser - Oh right. Ikea rocks. Their lingonberry jam is really good too!

Heikki - Do you have a spinach pancake recipe on your blog? It sounds good!

Theresa - Grape jam sounds crazy. I’ve never had it though so I can’t say anything about it really. Intriguing.

Comment by Emmie - May 14th, 2008 at 7:55 pm
  8. thank goodness for Ikea!

it’s good to see you back, and good to hear that you’ve been o.k.

thanks for the recipe- those meatballs look excellent!

Comment by bazu - May 15th, 2008 at 2:29 am
  9. We don’t have a spinach pancake recipe posted, but that’s a nice idea actually. Maybe we’ll whip something up soon. =)

Comment by Heikki - May 17th, 2008 at 2:02 pm
  10. Oh thank you for posting this recipe! I used to really enjoy Swedish meatballs when I was younger. I have never attempted a vegan version. Yay! I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks again!

Comment by Amy - May 18th, 2008 at 2:53 am
  11. The tofu balls look so wonderful! :9

Comment by Dreamy - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:03 pm
  12. I just emailed you Emmie - but after looking at these recipes, I’m like “That’s it, we need to be BUDDIES!” ha! I only fear that I could never reciprocate these amazing-looking recipes, though my muffins have been known to impress even an omnivore or two in my day…

Comment by erin - July 6th, 2008 at 7:02 pm